Hi there! I hope you are well on this Friday evening! Jo here with a new card making tutorial and video using the new Seasons Tweetings Digi Stamp Set.
Today’s card features 3 of the Robin images from the set with 2 of the hat accessories, the ‘From All Of Us’ sentiment and 2 of the mistletoe branches.
All of my images are printed onto super smooth paper suitable for alcohol markers and then backed with ordinary white cardstock to make them a little more sturdy.
Once coloured with my my copic markers I fussy cut all of my images ready to be positioned on my card. You can find a colouring tutorial in my previous blog post here. I used the same colour combinations for this card which is why the colouring process isn’t included in this tutorial or the accompanying YouTube Video.
For the background of my card I used a My Favourite Things Die, HOHOHO. I got mine from Seven Hills Crafts.
The Die works with both the negative and positive space. It also cuts three different centre pieces for the ‘O’s and elements from the ‘H’s so that you can layer the letters up using different coloured card or paper for different effects.
For this card I will be using the negative space cut out of a piece of white cardstock.
Whilst I had this Die set out I realised that one of the Dies made for one of the H’s actually fit my sentiment perfectly so I used this to neatly cut this out.
I then cut my Cardstock to size to fit onto an A6 card. I did this using one of the Duo Dies Scalloped Rectangles.
So my die cut sentiment stands out I placed a piece of patterned paper behind it. This paper was from the Lawn Fawn Snow Days 6×6 Paper Pack (also from Sevenhills Crafts).
I attached my Cardstock to the patterned paper using shaker tape. This ensured that all the small areas were covered. It was important to fill all the gaps with tape to ensure that the card didn’t bow or bend when it’s completed and put in the post, etc.
Attaching foam tape to you card can be tricky, especially lining things up accurately first time. The tape doesn’t allow for mistakes and lets face it mistakes do happen!! To try and give myself a safety net I left the backing tape attached to the outside runs of tape. I then turned back part of the tape on each corner. You can see on the photo above the tabs that were folded back sticking out around the card.
Once the card was lined up where I liked it on the paper I was able to press down the corners where the tape was exposed. If at this point I was unhappy with how I’d lined things up, only the corners would be stuck down so it would be much easier to readjust without destroying the backing paper. Once completely happy I can then pull out the rest of the backing paper and press down firmly.
I then selected a contrasting piece of patterned paper from the Lawn Fawn Knit Picky Fall 6×6 Paper Pack. I have used traditional reds and greens throughout this card. I usually pick 3 colours for my theme plus the card itself which typically for me tends to be white. this is just personal preference. I think restricting my colour palette in this way also helps things look cohesive and balanced.
I cut my patterned paper to size & adhered it to my A6 top folding card blank using liquid adhesive.
I next adhered my die cut sentiment panel to the card base using liquid adhesive.
My Robins were different widths so I spent some time deciding where on the front of my card they would fit best without obscuring the sentiment.
Once I was happy with the position of my images I adhered them to my focal panel using foam pads.
Here are my 3 cute little Robins positioned around the die cut sentiment.
I then took the elements die cut from the centre of my ‘O’s and added them to the negative spaces in the ‘O’s on my patterned paper. That was the star or snowflake and the circle pieces of card. I used liquid glue to attach these.
I then took my die cut sentiment and used my glue to add that to the bottom right hand corner.
I then added my mistletoe branches, one just above my sentiment and one in the top right hand corner.
I used a red gem to add some sparkle to the centre of my snowflake.
In need of more Christmassy Shimmer I grabbed this bottle of Pearly Stuff which is a shimmery liquid which when applied to your project creates 3D pearl drops that harden once dry. You can control the height and size of your Pearl depending on the pressure you apply when squeezing out the liquid.
I only applied slight pressure to add a little Shimmer to the berries on my mistletoe branches.
I also added a further red gem to the centre of the third ‘O’ as I felt it was missing something. The other two’O’s had an embellishment so without this gem it looked a little left out!
Finally I added 3 more gems to the blank white space above the first ‘Ho’. This was because I felt the card lacked balance. The sub sentiment and mistletoe branch in the bottom left hand corner was throwing things off slightly. By adding these 3 gems the balance diagonally across the card front was restored.
Here is the card complete.
And here are some close up pictures of my Robins. I loved colouring these guys and creating this card. I really hope you like them too and enjoyed this tutorial and video.
I’d love to hear your comments and please do subscribe to my Youtube channel for regular videos and tutorials. You can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram for loads more inspiration from the whole T4TD team.
Adorable Elf Robin!
Oh so cute with his present!
Looking spiffy in his top hat!